About City Year
City Year is a national educational non-profit which helps students and schools succeed. Fueled by national service, City Year partners with public schools in 28 urban, high-need communities across the U.S. and through international affiliates in the U.K. and Johannesburg, South Africa. Diverse teams of City Year AmeriCorps members provide research-based student, classroom, and school-wide supports to help students stay in school and on track to graduate from high school, ready for college and career success.
Our trained and committed AmeriCorps members provide full-time, individualized attention to kids that helps them thrive and that helps to promote a positive culture throughout the whole school. They work in schools full-time – from the first bell through the afterschool program. More than 80% are recent college graduates – hired through a selective process – and receive more than 300 hours of professional training. A 2015 study shows that schools that partner with City Year were up to 2-3 times more likely to improve on math and English assessments. A proud member of the AmeriCorps national service network, City Year is supported by the Corporation for National and Community Service, local school districts, and private philanthropy from corporations, foundations, and individuals. Learn more at www.cityyear.org, City Year’s Facebook page, on Twitter, and LinkedIn.
City Year Leadership
City Year Impact Manager
- Hometown: Salinas, CA
- University: University of California, Santa Barbara
- Role: Responsible for driving the successful implementation of the service model by building and cultivating strong school partnerships and developing a team of committed leaders.
2018-19, City Year
- Hometown: Atlanta, GA
- Alma Mater: Oglethorpe University
- Area of Study: Sociology
- Role: Co-lead and facilitate the growth and development of City Year members and provide them with individualized coaching around academic and social-emotional enrichment in order to enhance outcomes for students.
- Classes at Overfelt: Ethnic Studies and Leadership
- I can tutor: English, History, Geography, Ethnic Studies, Arts
- Fun Fact: I collect comic books!